Monday 6 December 2010

Running good in poker a no no

I have been thinking about this for a while, and a thread on PKR has made me write about it here, but before I start, I’m not entirely sure what I am going to write about as I am not a psychologist and don’t know the answer.

But anyway, I read a few poker blogs and forums, the majority being on PKR or PKR players . But everyone always writes about how bad they run, or that they are running X amount under EV. I am also guilty of it, but, in truth I run good, my fear is that at some point it WILL bite me in the ass, but whats to say it will, yes it should but at the other end someone could run eternally bad.

As an example I read Rhymenoceros’ blog, who put is monthly graph of winnings, with the EV graph with the comment  “I put the obligatory ev line in which only goes in when you run below allin ev (learnt that one off Muzone and all the 2+2ers)

This is what I find funny and got me thinking, is it bad to put how good you run, and I have to say I was going to put my November results up but, surprise, I was going to put it up without the EV graph because I ran above EV and whats more I have done all year!

However what I am lost on is whether poker players just like to moan how bad they run and tell everyone they do, or is it for some metagame purpose that I just don’t get. Or is it just posted so everyone who is running bad just to wallow in self-pity and pat each other on the back and say “yeah man I feel your pain”. Of course it could just be human nature.

As I said I am no psychologist and having a quick Google search I found nothing (that I could understand), however I did find one person being Sam Chauhan who is actually a mindset coach and has poker players as clients, who had some interesting articles albeit not answering the question of why people always remember the negative and not the positive.

Well like I said I found no answer but then didn’t really pose any questions, but I shall leave with a good Chinese proverb stole from Sam Chauhan in one of his blogs

“The farmer used a horse to till his fields. One day, the horse escaped into the hills and when the farmer’s neighbors sympathized with the old man over his bad luck, the farmer replied, “Bad luck? Good luck? Who knows?” A week later, the horse returned with a herd of horses from the hills and this time the neighbors congratulated the farmer on his good luck. His reply was, “Good luck? Bad luck? Who knows?”
Then, when the farmer’s son was attempting to tame one of the wild horses, the son fell off the horse’s back and broke his leg. Everyone thought this very bad luck. Not the farmer, whose only reaction was, “Bad luck? Good luck? Who knows?”
Some weeks later, the army marched into the village, taking every boy they found there. When they saw the farmer’s son with his broken leg, they let him off.
Everything has a purpose. Many things happen in our life that we might not understand.If those things did not happen, you would not become who you are about to become.




Oh and my November 10 graph with run good EV :P. Pretty disappointing as most the profit was from playing ~1000 hands at NL100 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment